Edwards Surveyors Chartered Surveyors & Energy Assessors Contact us: 01443 434040
Home Building Surveys Energy Part L commercial  Lease Plans Contacts Accreditation

Who needs a SAP?

If you're planning to construct any new building that will be used as a residence, obtaining a SAP Rating and a Dwelling Emission Rating is generally required prior to starting the construction phase.

 Although straightforward enough to produce (at Edwards Surveyors we generally turn-around these calculation in less than 5 days).

Getting the right balance of improvement right is not so easy. Whilst the SAP should never be used as a design tool it is worth every penny dealing with an assessor who will be able to spot easy to remedy problems and offer good sensible advice in getting compliant the easiest way.

Edwards Surveyors, have plenty of experience in dealing with tricky developments and always approach compliance with our clients in mind. We are yet to be beaten by a tricky SAP rating and have been involved in many projects that range from small one or two bedroom properties to passivhaus schemes and large apartment blocks.

What is SAP?

SAP stands for a Standard Assessment Procedure and is adopted by Government as the UK methodology for estimating the energy performance of planned domestic buildings.  

 The calculation is based on the energy balance taking into account a range of factors that contribute to energy efficiency. These include materials used for construction of the dwelling, the thermal insulation of the building fabric, ventilation characteristics of the dwelling and ventilation equipment, efficiency and control of the heating system, solar gains through openings of the dwelling, the fuel used to provide space and water heating, ventilation and lighting and renewable energy technologies.